HOW TO MAKE YOUR CHANEL JACKET LAST A LIFETIME?
Once you made the decision to invest in a Chanel jacket, you want to ensure your dream item will last a lifetime and keeps its value - in case you ever want to resell.
There are a few things you can do to support your Chanel jacket and keep it in its best condition for many years to come. These 6 tips will help you do exactly that.
Before we begin keep in mind that Chanel jackets are made of premium fabrics are meant to last. You can easily wear them without having to be afraid they get damaged.
1. To keep your jacket fresh, hang your it outside to air every once in a while. Does it have a heavy smell you want to get rid of? Use a fabric refresher and spray it all over the jacket. Repeat multiple times till the smell disappears (an extra tip for customers from Holland: we always use Kruidvat's textielverfrisser). Never put your jacket in the laundry machine.
2. If your jacket has a stain, send it out to a professional dry cleaner that has experience with Chanel jackets and that knows how to protect its buttons and embellishments in the cleaning process. We advise only to dry clean your jacket when it is really needed.
3. Buttons are one of the most important features of Chanel jackets. A missing button decreases the beauty and the value of an item. To make sure these small pieces of art stay right where they belong, it is advised to check your buttons from time to time. If the thread came loose, just securely attach it with a same color thread and you are ready for another decade.
4. As years pass by the exterior of Chanel jackets are often wonderfully kept. However, the condition of their pure silk lining, especially in light-colored jackets, is a different story. It may occur that vintage jackets show discoloration on one or multiple spots on the inside. To prevent your jacket against discoloration add antiperspirant pads on the inside of the jacket at arm height. It may not feel sexy, but it will keep your jacket fresh and stainless.
5. Chanel jackets are constructed of multiple panels to optimize its shape and to make re-sizing easier. Over the years, you might feel like your clothing size changed and the jacket lost its perfect fit for your body. At Chanel boutiques, it is possible to have your (vintage) jacket altered and sized-up or down by their skilled tailors to make it fit perfect again.
6. Your jacket will spend most of his life on a clothing hanger so it is important to invest in a hanger that fits well at the shoulders and keeps the jacket in its natural shape. If you decide to store your jacket in a garment bag, go for a canvas bag rather than a plastic one, as they don't trap moisture and give the fabric space to breath.